UC Berkeley's response to the COVID-19 pandemic dramatically amplified the critical role that technology plays in the student experience. Students need access to technology to support and engage in the online learning environment, and an increasingly online community environment.
In March 2020, the Student Technology Fund (STF) offered the University emergency funding to rapidly deploy solutions that immediately benefit students. In addition, the STF funded and, together with the Chief Technology Officer and other campus partners, mobilized this emergency response to students' need for laptops and WiFi hotspots.
If you are a student without the technology resources you need
- Complete this needs assessment. While supplies last, we will reach out to you with information about the availability of our FREE laptop and WiFi checkout programs. We will mail devices to students who are unable to pick them up on campus.
- Consider taking advantage of student discounts on devices from major retailers. Ensure any device purchased meets Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices and keep in mind that your Student Technology Fee entitles you to free software.
- If you need additional funds to purchase a computing device, you may request a cost of attendance adjustment.
- When campus re-opens, explore campus-based hardware lending programs.
- During this time, Student Tech Helpdesk Support continues to be available Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm, including during spring break, by phone and email (510-642-HELP, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Technology Checkout Program
How do I participate in this program, and is there a cost?
Access to any of the below resources is free for UCB undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. To check-out any of the below, students must complete this needs assessment.
How/when do I find out if I'll be receiving a device from this program?
After you submit your response to the needs assessment, we will email you within 2 business days to inform you about whether a device that meets your needs is available.
When would I receive a device?
Starting in late March 2020, we will offer a limited number of pick-up dates in room L11 at Towle Hall, Unit 2, 2650 Haste St, Berkeley, CA 94720 and we will also mail devices to students' homes for a limited period. Be sure to submit a complete address in the needs assessment if you cannot easily pick-up a device on campus. The COVID-19 pandemic is impacting supply chains and delivery times; we are doing our best to meet students' technology needs expediently.
Do I get to choose which device I get, or is that chosen for me based on my survey responses?
Please note in the comments section of the needs assessment whether you have particular computing needs that require a Chromebook (4 year loan) or a Dell (semester loan), or if you would be able to make use of whatever is available.
Who can I reach out to with questions?
- UC Berkeley students, faculty and staff: Please send questions to Jenny McNulty at email@example.com or call 510-693-5647.
- Colleagues from other colleges and universities: Please view our Program Administration FAQ or contact Cristóbal Olivares at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specs and Other Notes
|WiFi Hotspot and Service Plan: Somin XP8||Up to 6 months||Hardware and free 6-month service plan available. For students living in AT&T service area only. See Q&As for more information here.|
|Laptop: Dell Latitude 7400||Remainder of spring 2020 semester||Comprehensive info on Dell Latitude 7400s.
|Laptop: HP Chromebook||Up to 4 years||Comprehensive info on Chromebooks.